For fun, I’m going to brazenly steal from another A to Z blogger, BuddhaKat, and post some of the fractals I’ve made over the years. Fractals are mathematical constructs, but there is software available that lets the user create visual fractal patterns without necessarily knowing anything about the math.

For the following fractals I used the program Ultra Fractal, and did some post-processing in Photoshop or ACDSee to crop and resize the original fractal images. Click on the images for larger sizes.

Ad Infinitum

Fractal Graph in A minor

Fractal Vine

Floating

Blowfish

Disintegration in Sepia

Fractal Confetti

Just for fun, here’s a Photoshop manipulation of the last fractal.

Confetti Dance

A bunch of fractal generation software is listed on FractalArts.com. Though Ultra Fractal is not free, it does offer a free trial. A couple of other free programs out there are Apophysis and Fractal Explorer. If you’ve already created some of your own fractals, I’d love to see them!

Blogging from A to Z banner

Fractals for the fun of it

11 thoughts on “Fractals for the fun of it

• 04-06-2013 at 4:46 pm

I am honored and pleased and flattered that you randomly chose fractals for your “F” post!! Not only are they contagious, they are addictive!!
    These are very nice, Random. Though I own UltraFractal, I’m afraid I have yet to plumb its depths to see what glories I can bring to life from it! A very few of my posted works are UF. I like these a lot and love the manipulated one too!! I am not a purist and believe 100% in the value of manips!!

šŸ™‚

• 04-08-2013 at 4:49 pm

Thank you!

There does seem to be a learning curve for each piece of software. One cool thing with UF is the ability to layer fractals on top of each other and blend them in different ways. (It’s a bit like layers in Photoshop.)

I’m not a purist either, as you can tell! (Impurists of the world unite!)

• 04-06-2013 at 7:50 pm

Those are some great graphics. I had a friend at work explain fractals to me a while back, but I have not played around with creating anything.

• 04-08-2013 at 4:50 pm

Thanks!

I’ve seen explanations of fractals, but I sure don’t claim to understand them.

• 04-07-2013 at 12:34 am

Your fractals are so pretty! I didn’t know such a thing existed. I can’t imagine I will ever make any of my own as I have an extreme aversion to math but i sure like looking at the ones you have made.

• 04-08-2013 at 4:51 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you liked them!

I’m pretty sure you don’t need to know (or be on friendly terms with) math to use a lot of the fractal software out there. The math is behind the scenes if you want it to be.

• 04-08-2013 at 4:52 pm

Thank you! I did hesitate to share them. I think they’re kinda cool, but nothing special when compared to what some people have done with fractals.

• 04-08-2013 at 1:59 am

Woah, hold on there for a second. There is software out there that does this? They look amazing!

• 04-08-2013 at 4:53 pm

Yes there IS software out there — some of it even free!

(And thanks for the comment!)

• Pingback: Fractals of the Week: Collages du Jour | The Call of Troythulu