The leader of The Resistance sent out the word: Now! And so it began.

Dancer’s own role was simple. He watched ESS headquarters through binoculars to make sure no one came or went who was not part of the Resistance. But after two hours of watching, Dancer’s eyes were glazing over. Who knew a revolution could be so boring?

Then he saw a red glow shining from within the building. He recognized the glow an instant before the front doors opened and Rudolph stepped out. Dancer swore and said into his 2-way radio, “Rudolph on ESS grounds. Over.”

Rudolph at ESS HQ? Dancer shook his head. Rudolph was notorious for kissing Santa’s ass, but still…

As soon as the red-nosed reindeer cleared the compound, explosions filled the night and ESS headquarters was engulfed in flame.

In the end, the elfs in ESS HQ were the only casualties. Santa blustered about tradition as he was led away in chains in front of an assembly of all Pole inhabitants. Rudolph stood away from the giddy others, shunned and hated into virtual exile.

Then it was time for the leader of the Resistance to be revealed. When he finally stepped out of the Claus mansion, the crowd gasped. A green…humanoid stood before them, and in the stunned silence he said, “I think it’s fair to say, we have won the day.”

Though guessing his name is prob’ly a cinch, the resistance leader is indeed the Grinch.

—–

Moral: I wouldn’t touch that one with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.

Be sure to visit the other writers who are participating in this year’s BlogFestivus:

BlogFestivus 2012blogdramedy
A Spoonful of Suga

BlogFestivus 2012 Day 9: Rudolph

20 thoughts on “BlogFestivus 2012 Day 9: Rudolph

• 12-19-2012 at 5:41 am

Oh MAN! That Grinch! Moral made me chuckle. 🙂

• 12-20-2012 at 5:18 pm

Glad that made you chuckle. It may have been cheap, but I couldn’t resist. (That line from the song kept going through my head and I had to get it out.)

• 12-21-2012 at 7:24 pm

Go for it! Exorcise that Grinch!

• 12-19-2012 at 7:56 am

Most excellent end to this story. I had a Grinch reference, too. Great minds and all that. Thanks so much for boarding the joy train. We all rocked. 😉

• 12-20-2012 at 5:19 pm

Thanks! I was wondering how many other Grinch references there would be. Thanks for the ticket. It’s been a blast!

• 12-19-2012 at 12:41 pm

NICE! I think I just saw something like this in the Homeland finale’…:) I really enjoyed your series.

• 12-20-2012 at 5:20 pm

I have yet to see that show, but I’ve heard good things.

Thank you for all your comments. Glad you enjoyed this series!

• 12-19-2012 at 5:27 pm

LOVE the moral! And I definitely didn’t see this ending coming. Great job!

• 12-20-2012 at 5:20 pm

🙂

Thank you!

• 12-20-2012 at 7:32 am

Twist ending!

Tonight I shall hoist a tall glass of the nog, offer a moment of silence, then toast the literary genius that is Random.

Well told. I dare say you captured the true spirit of BlogFestivus.

• 12-20-2012 at 5:22 pm

Thank you, sir. I’m glad I captured the spirit of BlogFestivus. I was a little concerned when I realized my body count was so low. (Then again, I did kill off an undisclosed number of elves. Does that count?)

• 12-20-2012 at 11:36 am

Well, I can’t see any harm in saying this, but to me, yours was the best set of stories on the Joy Train. I bow in your shadow, humbled and awe struck. 🙂

• 12-20-2012 at 5:24 pm

Wow. Thank you so much. I’m really glad you enjoyed them (as I enjoyed yours!) And thank you for all of your great comments!

• 12-20-2012 at 4:32 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. I’m glad I got to read them together.
    The Grinch! Tsk tsk. lol

• 12-20-2012 at 4:35 pm

For some reason, that story alone made me reinvent the story of Rudolph in my mind… in which the whole time Rudolph was teased by the other reindeers, it was because Santa had been arrested and wasn’t there to stick up for Rudolph, who was notorious for kissing up to him. (“No wonder his nose is so red; it’s so sore from kissing Santa’s ass!”)

And then at the end, Santa is released, and things go back to normal.

(I don’t think that image was intentional. Was it?)

• 12-20-2012 at 5:29 pm

That particular image wasn’t intentional. But, I did have a similar back story come to mind after I wrote this.

It’s so cool to me how the audience (reader) is so clever at filling in the blanks and making the story as written much richer and fuller than what the actual words convey.