Dasher groaned as he got out of bed. Getting old sucks, he thought, lighting a cigarette and looking out at the falling snow.

From the bed, he heard a loud sigh. “I hate this season,” Mandy said. “You always get so anxious.”

“I’m getting too old for this shit,” Dasher said absently. He’d been saying that for ten years now, and every year it became more and more true.

“Then let’s go!” Mandy cried. “Let’s get out of this hellhole and go somewhere nice.”

“But–”

“I know. You can’t turn your back on the mission. Blah blah blah. There’s a whole stable full of young bucks just waiting to take over.”

“Well, that’s true…”

“And there are eight other experienced reindeer to make sure the children get their toys. And if they don’t, so what? It’s not your responsibility. You’ve put in your time.”

“You’re right. It’s been years since I liked this job.” Dasher turned to look at Mandy. “Let’s do it! Let’s get the hell out of here!”

Mandy smiled. “Yes!” she said. Then her smile faded. “What’s that on your chest?”

Dasher looked down to see he was bleeding. At that moment he knew. Turning back to the window, he felt the cold air blasting through the shattered glass. Beyond, an Elfen hit squad stood, lowering their rifles. As Dasher fell, he heard their leader say, “That should take care of our glue shortage, at least for this year.”

—–

Moral: No one leaves Santa’s sweatshop alive.

Be sure to visit the other writers who are participating in this year’s BlogFestivus:

BlogFestivus 2012blogdramedy
k8edid
The Day After
A Spoonful of Suga

BlogFestivus 2012 Day 1: Dasher

29 thoughts on “BlogFestivus 2012 Day 1: Dasher

• 12-11-2012 at 5:42 pm

Poor, poor Dasher. Bet he makes good glue though.

• 12-11-2012 at 5:49 pm

I like to think he made the best glue, and that part of him lives on in all the toys he helped hold together.

• 12-11-2012 at 6:45 pm

Well done, sir! I feel so inadequate for letting my reindeer live. I mean, that’s kinda my thing – killing stuff. But I will gladly pass my torch on to you!

• 12-11-2012 at 10:52 pm

Thank you, but don’t worry. there’s plenty of time for more bloodshed. Besides, I think all of us pale in comparison to blogdramedy, who pretty much killed all but one of the reindeer.

• 12-11-2012 at 10:49 pm

Thanks! I’m all about being terrible. Good to know I’m on the right track.

• 12-12-2012 at 12:58 am

I couldn’t have foreseen it going that way…I thought….happy holidays, sunset evenings in the Algarve…but no! Not for poor old Dasher. Hell’s teeth, what’s to come of the other reindeer! 😉

• 12-12-2012 at 3:29 pm

I may have a slight dark side. I have to say, I fear for the other reindeer.

• 12-12-2012 at 6:02 am

I think this writing challenge is showing that elves are truly evil little suckers. Who knew? 😉

• 12-12-2012 at 3:30 pm

You’re right! I guess having the reindeer be the protagonists makes the elves the logical choice for antagonists.

• 12-12-2012 at 3:32 pm

Thank you very much! And thank you for the idea of a serial.

• 12-12-2012 at 11:52 am

So how could the reindeer hit squad know that Dasher was thinking of defecting? Maybe that will be told tomorrow! Like this a lot!

• 12-12-2012 at 3:34 pm

Excellent point! I had the same thought, which is partly why Day 2 went the way it did.

Thank you for your comment!

• 12-13-2012 at 4:53 pm

Wow – they’re dropping like flies. There must be a “mole”, huh?

• 12-14-2012 at 4:11 pm

A mole! Good idea. [jots down a note] Thanks!

• 12-14-2012 at 4:31 pm

Hey, wait – I was going to use the old “mole” scenario!! Just kidding…it’s a free-for-all.

• 12-14-2012 at 4:35 pm

That’s okay, I’ll leave the mole scenario alone. Since I don’t really know what’s going to happen in my story, I can just as easily pull at a different thread.

• 12-14-2012 at 4:36 pm

I was kidding – I haven’t planned that far ahead!! Go ahead if you want, it won’t bother me at all.

• 12-20-2012 at 4:50 pm

That’s a good thing…isn’t it?

• Pingback: BlogFestivus Parts 8 & 9: The End: There is no coming to consciousness without pain. | A Spoonful of Suga

• 12-20-2012 at 7:14 am

Love it! Brilliant piece of writing. And we’re off to a very good start. 🙂

• 12-20-2012 at 4:50 pm

Why, thank you!

• 12-20-2012 at 11:02 am

I’m ashamed, I didn’t know there was another passenger, especially one who completed the challenge last year, too!
    But hey, I’m reading them now. 🙂

• 12-20-2012 at 4:51 pm

I hopped on the train at the very last minute, so I was easy to miss. I’m glad you found me, though.

• 12-20-2012 at 4:44 pm

Wow… shocking story. And to have that journey decided on and then just wrenched away… Terrible.

The mention of young bucks made me imagine that each reindeer’s lifetime, the young bucks take over, and assume the usual nicknames to keep up appearances (so it looks like nothing has changed). It’d also help that old fellow Santa out.

I like this idea. It’s a real spin on the legend.

• 12-20-2012 at 4:54 pm

It was admittedly pretty harsh to do that to Dasher. It just sort of came to me, but it set things up for the rest of the series.

I had a similar thought about the young bucks taking over but assuming the names of those they replace. Good call.

• Pingback: The Reader Appreciation Award | apprentice, never master