Doom doom doom, Malicia felt the pounding drums through the earth, filling her, replacing her own heartbeat. The heat of the fire washed over her body, cleansing her. She turned to face the circle. Twelve drummers drumming glistened with sweat in the firelight. Behind them, the other twelve of her coven chanted.

Malicia raised her arms to the sky. With the drums, she spoke, “Earth,” (doom) “Air,” (doom) “Fire,” (doom) “Water;” a final doom as each woman drew a knife across the throat of the drummer in front of her. As the blood soaked into the ground, Malicia felt its energy drawn into her.

She swooned, intoxicated, as her sisters focused their own magical energies on her. At last, sated, Malicia dropped her arms. Bristling with power, she gestured and the drums and bodies disappeared. She nodded to her sisters and floated towards town.

—–

The last day of BlogFestivus and that’s what I write? Yikes! I may write another entry later today in a lighter vein. In the meantime, here’s the final (?) tally of my BlogFestivus 2011 body count:

Day Body Count Possible Moral
Day 1 0 Don’t land in a tree when parachuting with a bag full of money.
Day 2 2 Beware of pretty shiny things.
Day 3 2 Don’t let taunts get to you. Also, don’t play with explosives.
Day 4 1 Don’t mess with the birds.
Day 5 0 Fantasy doth not the place of reality take.
Day 6 2 Beware of falling in love with a goose.
Day 7 0 When a wise old witch-owl speaks, it pays to listen.
Day 8 7 Eat lightly and carry a big sword.
Day 9 301 Don’t attend a party hosted by someone who welds doors.
Day 10 0 Don’t underestimate your own strength.
Day 11 0 Don’t put the windows before the plumbing. Or, water always wins.
Day 12 12 Don’t take drumming gigs for witches. (Thanks, Lisleman.)
Total 327 Beware of the dark side during BlogFestivus.
BlogFestivus Day 12: The dark

13 thoughts on “BlogFestivus Day 12: The dark

• 12-12-2011 at 1:37 pm

Really? I was afraid it was too obvious.

• 12-12-2011 at 1:36 pm

Thank you very much. I’m glad you’ve enjoyed them.

• 12-12-2011 at 1:32 pm

You and the bitter one certainly like to kill off characters. Yeah, drummers are a dime a dozen anyway. I noticed your summary table. A story with a cheat sheet. I could have used that back in English Lit. Well I suggest the moral of this one is don’t take drumming gigs for witches.

• 12-12-2011 at 1:35 pm

It isn’t so much that I like to kill off characters. It’s that I have to because the story demands it.

I’m really the victim here. 🙂

• 12-12-2011 at 2:20 pm

Oh, and I like your suggested moral. Mind if I use it?

• 12-12-2011 at 2:58 pm

Um. Yeah. Wow.
    This got a little dark. Are you okay? Do you need to talk? 🙂
    I’m actually happy that someone had a higher body count that I did!
    Happy end to BlogFestivus!

• 12-12-2011 at 3:03 pm

Ha! Thanks for caring!

I’m fine. I don’t mind dark at all. It was the readers I was worried about (assuming there were any, of course).

Happy end of BlogFestivus to you, too!

• 12-12-2011 at 5:12 pm

I am in awe. The sheer numbers in your body count is awe-inspiring and I bow to your ability to write about them and then kill them all. Talk about ruthless. I love it. 🙂

Thanks so much for joining in BlogFestivus. It wouldn’t be a challenge without all you wonderful and creative writers. Same time next year?

Blogdramedy, the BlogFestivus Elf

• 12-12-2011 at 5:35 pm

Well, thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed my ruthlessness. I’ll look forward to next year’s event, though I hope to find other, similar types of challenges before then!

• 12-14-2011 at 1:02 pm

Loved this one. Duh!
    Magical energies + blood = happy Bitter

• 12-14-2011 at 1:14 pm

Oh good! I actually thought you might hate it because, for all I know, I violated all sorts of rules of the magic world.