The demise of The Gagglehood left a gaping hole in the fabric of our community. That and the untimely deaths of Daffy and Naomi put a pall over everyone.

But Valeria, a wise owl of indeterminate age who some suspected was a witch, told anyone who would listen that things would soon change. Sadly, many feared Valeria and I was one of the few who paid attention.

“Look to the river,” she told me.

And so I found myself standing vigil on the river shore. After weeks of enduring the derision of the other birds, I saw them, seven swans a-swimming out of the mist.

When they came near, their beauty and sensuality struck me. Before day’s end, they had replaced The Gagglehood, calling themselves The Graceful Herd. Valeria had been right. And I, as the first to greet them, became their “agent.” Ka-ching!

—–

This is my BlogFestivus entry for day 7, seven swans a-swimming. Sorry to disappoint you if you were hoping for more bodies. I suspect the next five days will offer ample opportunity to catch up.

Day Body Count Possible Moral
Day 1 0 Don’t land in a tree when parachuting with a bag full of money.
Day 2 2 Beware of pretty shiny things.
Day 3 2 Don’t let taunts get to you. Also, don’t play with explosives.
Day 4 1 Don’t mess with the birds.
Day 5 0 Fantasy doth not the place of reality take.
Day 6 2 Beware of falling in love with a goose.
Day 7 0 When a wise old witch-owl speaks, it pays to listen.

BlogFestivus Day 7: Word to the wise

6 thoughts on “BlogFestivus Day 7: Word to the wise

• 12-07-2011 at 12:55 pm

That’s alright Random. I’m not disappointed. I liked it. I think I’m the only one on a killing spree. Though if you want to read some of my non-murderous ones – I’ve written Day 2 and Day 7 for the Mad Hatters.

• 12-07-2011 at 1:07 pm

Well, that’s good. You may be the only one on a killing spree, but there’s a lot of mayhem (and dead swans) out there among the BlogFestivus-ers.

I did read your posts at Mad Hatters, though I didn’t catch you were the author the first time through. (I didn’t realize that blog had multiple authors. Duh, me.)

• 12-07-2011 at 6:37 pm

Another happy story? You and Steve drank from the happy cup today.
    Very nice! I’ve noted the moral, too. I’ll be sure to listen to any and all witch owls that cross my path. Thanks for the tip!

• 12-07-2011 at 6:51 pm

Well, I don’t mind mixing it up a little. And, I’m not always in control of what story wants to be told. I do sense the possibility of a bloodbath in the near future.

• 12-07-2011 at 6:51 pm

I didn’t kill any swans today but it was not a happy post by any stretch of the imagination.

You, however, have grabbed a branch off the happy tree I see. 🙂

• 12-07-2011 at 7:06 pm

That’s the second comment about my story being happy! I’ll try not to let it happen again. On the other hand, a little variety doesn’t hurt.

Still, the numbers are increasing, and we’re finally getting away from birds, so there’ll be plenty of opportunity to swing back to the dark side…