Do you ever look at pictures of yourself and wonder if that’s how you really looked?

When I was in grade school, we did this project:

Silhouette picture

I remember nothing of the process, it was too long ago. It looks like I stood in front of black construction paper while someone sprayed fake snow at my head to create an outline.

It seems as if I I would remember being sprayed in my left eye with some toxic goo.

Whatever, even though the origin of this is lost in my memory, I noticed it again the last time I was at Mom’s house and took some pictures of it. Since the picture is behind glass, it wasn’t ideal photo conditions.

For some reason, this silhouette has more impact on me than looking at photos from that same time. Intellectually, I  know that’s my silhouette, but I still think it’s amazing to think that the now-me was once the me-who-blocked-toxic-goo-from-hitting-construction-paper.

This image is easier to understand, partly because it was taken only a week ago, but also because the shadow is only a placeholder for me and I can fill in the gaps. Then again, I didn’t realize my legs were so disproportionately long compared to my body.

Shadow of me near a pond

Maybe this is a more accurate portrait:

Photomanipulation of a portrait

It certainly seems to convey the way my mind works sometimes.

What about you? What do you think about when you see old pictures of yourself?

Have you ever found a true portrait of who you are?

Portraits of Random, Is that really ME?

6 thoughts on “Portraits of Random, Is that really ME?

• 09-05-2011 at 12:02 pm

Your old project at grade school was great.

• 09-05-2011 at 5:46 pm

I agree! I’m grateful to have this portrait. I just kind of wish I remembered making it!

• 09-07-2011 at 3:07 pm

I have a silhouette of myself at about age four. I remember having it made. It was on Lummi Island, and one of our older neighbors (Faye) did them for people. I sat on a little chair at her house in profile view, and she cut out the silhouette. Done! No toxic goo involved, just skill on her part.

• 09-07-2011 at 7:12 pm

Oh, how cool! Do you have a (digital) picture of it?

Now that you described how yours was done, I vaguely remember sitting with a light on one side while someone traced the shadow of my head on paper. Then I (or someone — it looks way too smooth for me to have done it!) cut out the silhouette, put the paper on a large piece of black construction paper, spray toxic goo, and voila!

• 02-23-2012 at 6:02 am

I remember doing silhouettes in kindergarten, 1970-71, 2nd grade 1972-73 and 8th grade 1978-79. what year and grade was yours done, Random?. It’s cool!

• 02-23-2012 at 11:25 am

Thank you!

I don’t remember the grade, but it was probably around 2nd or 3rd grade, which would have put it right around 1970-1972. Sounds like we’re around the same age.

Do you still have any of your silhouettes?